Happy Sunday everyone! This will be a short update—I’ve been feeling under the weather this week, mainly because it’s that time of the month and the cramps and anxiety are hitting hard. It isn’t usually this bad, but my body thought to remind me again why it sucks being a girl—I’m emotional and hangry all the time, I have this intense craving for carrot cake in the middle of the night, and my concentration is shot. It SUCKS, especially on top of COVID and exam preps.
Bleh. Oh well, it will pass.
Anyway, on to my bookish updates!
Posts This Week
- Mysteries/Thrillers | Darling Rose Gold, The Keeper, & Force of Nature
- Book Review: On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong
Books I Finished This Week
- After reading books last week that featured either war (On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous), trauma (My Dark Vanessa), cheating (On Beauty), murder (The Keeper, Force of Nature), or just overall bad sex and depressing relationships, my brain resisted any more lit fic until I can replenish my good vibes. So I finished Tessa Dare’s Girl Meets Duke series. It wasn’t as good as her Spindle Cove or Castles Ever After books, but I just adore Dare’s writing. She does banter so well, and her books never fail to make me laugh.
- I also finished Karin Gillespie’s Love Literary Style, which I picked up after Melanie @ Grab the Lapels reviewed it. It was exactly what I needed. I’ll finish Beach Read first, which has a similar premise as this one, before reviewing it.
- I had a blast reading The Poppy War, but I found that it isn’t as nuanced as some reviewers made it out to be. Dark, yes, but this darkness wasn’t really explored in depth. In fact, I can imagine the book as a shounen anime, maybe something like Attack on Titan meets Fairy Tail or My Hero Academia. Still, it was very entertaining and I liked the East Asian setting and characters. I’ll hold off on reviewing it until I read the next one in the series.
Books I’m Currently Reading
- Still not sure what to feel about The Heart’s Invisible Furies. This has a really high rating on Goodreads (4.47, the last time I checked), so I had high expectations going into this, but so far I’m just meh with the first half. SAD, because I want to love this. Part II seems to be a lot better than the first part, though, so we’ll see.
- Holly @ The Smut Report recommended Tana French’s In the Woods. I’ve just started it but I already know this is going to be so good; it feels very different from most mysteries I’ve read so far.
Well, that’s it for me. I had planned to post my review of My Dark Vanessa this week, but it’s been difficult to write, so it’ll be up next week instead. I also hope to review Normal People and maybe the Girl Meets Duke series.
How was your week? Has the quarantine been lifted where you are, and for those in cold countries, has spring finally arrived? Let me know in the comments!